Grab your spoon for this irresistible strawberry spoon cake. It’s easy to make and perfect for summer. The moist and delectable cake bakes up in a deep dish pie pan or cast iron skillet with sweet strawberries baked right on top. This scrumptious Strawberry Spoon Cake comes together quickly and easily for a tasty summer treat.
We’re heading into berry season and it’s the perfect time to bake up a bright and fruity strawberry spoon cake. With buttermilk cake as the base, the consistency is somewhere between a custard cake and biscuit-like shortcake. You can use a GoodCook® Cast Iron Skillet or a GoodCook® Deep Dish Pie Pan for this recipe – either way, you’ll have an utterly perfect taste of summer in every spoonful.
Don’t let the thought of hulling strawberries intimidate you! We’ve made it easy. The GoodCook® ProFreshionals Strawberry Huller is incredibly easy to use, leaving you with beautifully hulled strawberries in minutes. It features a stainless-steel hulling blade that’s perfectly sized to safely remove stems with minimal wasted fruit, and the compact design allows for use with just one hand.
Here are the steps you’ll need to to bake up a mouthwatering strawberry spoon cake:
1. Hull the strawberries. To use the strawberry huller, simply insert the blades into the fruit, twist, lift and push the button to eject the stem.
2. After hulling, slice the strawberries.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries, lemon juice and sugar. Set aside.
4. Heat the oven to 350ºF. Place butter in a 9” round GoodCook® deep dish pie pan or 10-inch cast iron skillet. Place the pan in the oven and allow the butter to melt as the oven heats.
5. In a large GoodCook® Mixing Bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
6. Remove the warm pan from the oven, swirl gently to coat the entire pan in butter, then pour the rest of the butter in the flour mixture. Set the skillet aside.
7. Add the buttermilk and vanilla to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined. Pour the batter back into the skillet and spread evenly in the pan. Pour the sliced strawberries over the top of the batter.
8. Bake until the center of the cake is barely set, about 25-30 minutes. Cool slightly, but serve warm.
- Do you have strawberries that are just slightly past their prime? They would be perfect in this recipe!
- Either a GoodCook® Deep Dish Pie Pan or a GoodCook® Cast Iron Skillet will work for this recipe.
- Serve this cake warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top for a tasty summer treat.
Get Baking with GoodCook
With the GoodCook® line of bakeware and accessories, you’ll have everything you need to bake up a delicious Strawberry Spoon Cake. Get started with a GoodCook® Touch 5 QT Mixing Bowl and a GoodCook® Silicone Whisk. We love the GoodCook® Strawberry Huller for de-stemming strawberries with one quick motion. Bake the cake in a GoodCook® deep dish pie pan or GoodCook® Cast Iron Skillet for a moist and spoon-worthy dessert. Are you ready to get started on this berry masterpiece?
Bake & Share
If you try this recipe at home, we’d love to see a photo of it! Snap a picture and upload to Instagram. Don’t forget to tag us @goodcook.com #goodcookcom
Strawberry Spoon Cake
A simple summer cake, made in a deep dish pie pan or cast iron pan, which bakes up somewhere between a custard cake and biscuit-like shortcake. Serve warm, with heaping scoops of ice cream or fresh cream for a delicious summer dessert.
- 2 cups strawberries
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
Hull and slice strawberries. In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, lemon juice and sugar. Set aside.
Heat oven to 350ºF. Place butter in a 9” round deep dish pie pan or 10-inch cast iron skillet. Place in the oven and allow butter to melt as the oven heats.
In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Remove the pan from the oven, swirl gently to coat the entire pan in butter, then pour the rest of the butter in the flour mixture. Set the skillet aside. To flour mixture, add buttermilk and vanilla to the mixture. Stir just until combined. Pour batter back into the skillet, spread evenly into the pan. Pour strawberries over the center of the batter.
Bake until the center of the cake is barely set, about 25-30 minutes. Cool slightly, but serve warm.