Cozy up to a bowl of creamy and comforting Potato Bacon Chowder. With flavorful bacon, chunks of potatoes and a creamy base, this soup is perfect for a filling and delicious comfort food dinner. The whole family will love this quick and easy creamy bacon potato chowder.
Made all in one pot, this rich and creamy soup comes together easily and is the perfect satisfying and tasty meal for a hungry family. Who can resist a flavorful soup with salty, smoky bacon?
The GoodCook® Everyday 2 Qt Sauce Pan is the perfect pot for this tasty soup. It features an easy-to-clean nonstick interior, a tight-fitting tempered glass lid and a bakelite heat-resistant handle. Follow the easy steps below to make this creamy soup:
Steps to make creamy potato bacon chowder
- Heat a GoodCook® Everyday 2 Qt. Sauce Pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crispy.
- Transfer the bacon to a paper towel to drain. When the bacon is cool, crumble it into small pieces.
- Add the onions to the pan with the bacon grease and cook, stirring occasionally, until they soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, garlic, carrots, salt, pepper and broth to the pan. Cover and cook until the potatoes and carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and flour. Add this the pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the ingredients are well-mixed and the soup thickens.
- Stir in half of the cooked bacon bits.
- Serve the chowder in bowls topped with the extra crumbled bacon and chopped chives.
The best potatoes for this soup
This recipe calls for Russet potatoes. They will need to be peeled and diced for this recipe. If you want firmer potatoes in your soup, use red potatoes or Yukon gold.
Tips for Perfect Creamy Potato Soup
- Cut the potatoes into uniform pieces that are no bigger than ¾″. Potato chunks that are around the same size cook more evenly.
- For a thicker soup, purée half of the soup (before adding the bacon) using an immersion blender or by transferring a portion of the soup to a blender or food processor, blending, and transferring the puréed soup back into the pot.
What to serve with creamy potato bacon chowder
Serve with a side salad, saltine crackers, crusty bread, or croutons. Garnish with chives or green onions.
- To make the soup gluten-free: substitute 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch for the flour. Or purée half of the soup to thicken it up.
- To make a lighter version: substitute turkey bacon for regular bacon and use 1% or skim milk in place of the whole milk.
Get this cozy soup on the table with the GoodCook® line of cookware and kitchen accessories. The GoodCook® Everyday 2 Qt Sauce Pan is perfect for making a batch of comforting and creamy potato bacon chowder. With a non-stick interior and a bakelite handle, this is the roomiest pan we’ve found for simmering a pot of soup. Are you ready to make a batch of creamy and delicious soup?
Bake & Share
If you try this recipe at home, we’d love to see a photo of it! Snap a picture and upload to Instagram. Don’t forget to tag us @goodcookcom #goodcooking.
Creamy Potato Bacon Chowder
- 8 bacon slices
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound (3-4 medium Russet potatoes), peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 cups whole milk or half-and-half
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh chives
Heat a 2 qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon to the pot and cook until crispy. Transfer to a paper towel to drain. When cool, crumble into small pieces.
Add onions to the pot with the bacon grease and cook until they soften, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add potatoes, garlic, carrots, salt, pepper and broth to the pot. Cover and cook until potatoes and carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
Whisk together milk and flour. Add to the pot, cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the ingredients are well-mixed and the soup thickens.
Stir in half of the cooked bacon bits.
Serve chowder in bowls topped with extra crumbled bacon and chopped chives.