If you like avocado as much as we do, why not grab one of our super-cute and conveniently easy Good Cook avocado slicers, sit back with a bowl of the green stuff, and read up on 10 things you probably didn’t know about avocado…but should!
1. Wash before you eat. Avocados should be gently washed under lukewarm water before slicing. Lots of shoppers tend to put their fingers all over the food in the produce section! It’s smart to make sure all the germs are washed off!
2. It’s not too late! If you slice an unripened avocado before it’s ready to eat, simply place the avocado back together, then wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Store in a warm, dry area for a day or two, until the avocado has some time to properly ripen.
3. Time to Eat. Not all avocados turn dark green when they’re ripe and ready to eat. Gently press on the skin of the avocado. If it’s soft enough to squeeze slightly, it’s ready to eat!
4. Add an apple or banana to a brown paper bag with your unripened avocados to speed up their ripening!
5. Fruity Truth. Avocados are actually a fruit. They’re versatile flavor makes them a great match with meats, veggies, and even fruits like peaches, mangoes , and pomegranates.
6. Lemon Bright. Keep sliced avocado from browning with a little sprinkling of lemon juice.
7. Lime Juice works, too! A sprinkling of fresh lime juice on avocado slices or in a bowl of fresh guacamole will keep it bright green longer.
8. Oxygen Free Zone. Store unused avocado by sprinkling it with lemon or lime juice, then covering it firmly with plastic wrap and storing it in an airtight container.
9. Freeze avocadoes by peeling and slicing them, wrapping tightly with plastic wrap, and placing immediately in the freezer for up to a month. Used frozen avocado in sauces and smoothies.
10. The better spreader. Use pureed avocado, or fresh avocado slices on toast with a bit of salt for a healthier spread than butter.