Slow Cooker Seasame Teriyaki Chicken and Veggies is super simple to prepare. And, thanks to your slow cooker, you can get dinner started earlier in the day when you have a busy afternoon.
You’re going to start first with some cubed boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You can also use chicken tenderloins, but they’re more expensive so it is up to you and what you personally prefer. If you use tenderloins you won’t need to cube them because they’re thin and smaller so they’ll cook relatively quickly in a slow cooker.
Brown the chicken in some yummy sesame oil with salt, pepper, and ginger. Browning meat prior to cooking in a slow cooker seals in moisture and adds to the over all flavor.
Then, whip up a quick teriyaki sauce. I like to use liquid aminos because it is healthier, but the conventional equivalent is soy sauce. Liquid aminos are available at most stores, especially if the store has a health food section.
After the sauce is prepped, you’ll cook the chicken until tender and the sauce has thickened, and towards the end add the veggies. You don’t want to add the veggies too early in the cooking process, otherwise they’ll end up over cooked rather than nice and crisp but tender.
Once the chicken and veggies are all cooked, you can stir in some yummy rice noodles to complete the meal.
Fun Flavor Twists
Enjoy this recipe as written below. Or try these easy upgrades:
- Going for vegeterian? Try cubed tofu in place of chicken.
- If you prefer grain rice over rice noodles, substitute fluffy, jasmine rice. Just serve it on the plate and top with the chicken and veggies rather than tossing it to coat in the slow cooker
- Mushrooms, red bell pepper, and sugar snap peas all make great vegetable additions or substitutions
Get the Tools
Cook like a pro. You can find all the tools you need (and more!) for this Slow Cooker Sesame Teriyaki Chicken and Veggies in our Amazon Store. Click here now to shop and ship directly to your front door.
You’ll definitely want a nice sharp knife to cut the cube the chicken and cut the broccoli into florets for this recipe. I love this set from Good Cook because it provides a variety of sizes for everyday use. Measuring spoons and cups are also essential to get the perfect proportions for the sticky, teriyaki sauce.
And to ensure the sauce is silky smooth, you’ll want to whisk it up with this Silicone Whisk so you avoid scratching your pants.
That’s it, this recipe is super simple, so you can definitely dress it up as you like with some of the ideas above, or eat it as is.
If You Like This Recipe, You’ll Love
Want even more tasty ideas like this one? Don’t miss these amazing eats:
- Make your own takeout tonight with Skillet Orange Chicken
- Lettuce wraps like these Ground Chicken Lettuce Wraps are always a crowd pleaser.
- Chinese Beef and Broccoliis a Chinese takeout classic and easy to make at home!
- Firecracker Shrimpmakes a tasty at home appetizer.
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs are a fun twist on sweet and sour chicken
Slow Cooker Sesame Teriyaki Chicken and Veggies
- 2 teaspoons Sesame Oil
- 1 1/2 lb. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Liquid Aminos
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 3 1/2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Water
- 1 medium sized crown broccoli, cut into bite sized florets
- 1 large carrot, julienne sliced
- 6 ounces Rice Noodles
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, garnish
Add the oil to a cast iron skillet or to the insert of your slow cooker if it is stovetop safe. Place the oiled pan over medium heat on the stove. Add the chicken and sprinkle with ginger, salt and pepper. Cook until browned on all sides. Meanwhile, whisk together the brown sugar, liquid amines, cornstarch, rice vinegar, and water. Add this mixture to the chicken and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Then, remove from heat. If using a cast iron pan, transfer the chicken to the slow cooker. If you used your slow cooker liner on the stove, then place that in the slow cooker shell. Place the lid on the slow cooker, and turn the heat to low. Cook for 2 - 4 hours, or until chicken is very tender and completely cooked through and sauce is thickened. This will depend on your individual slow cooker as some cook hotter or cooler than others. Add the veggies to the slow cooker and if needed, add additional water if the sauce has become too thick. Alternatively, if it is too thin you can add additional cornstarch by whisking in 1 teaspoon at a time until desired thickness is achieved. Cook on high until the veggies are tender. Meanwhile, prepare the rice noodles according to package instructions. When the rice noodles are done cooking and the veggies are tender, transfer them to the noodles to the slow cooker. Stir until well coated with the sauce. Divide into 4 - 6 bowls, sprinkle with sesame seeds for garnish and serve.