Take the classic Pineapple Upsidedown cake, add a packet of coconut pudding, then pop it into muffin tins and you’ve got this gorgeously simple recipe homemade without any muss or fuss! The cupcakes are cooked in a rich, brown sugar caramel sauce, with the cake texture rich and sweet–a perfect pudding cake. And, you’ll never know it all starts with a box mix!
Fun Flavor Twists
Enjoy this recipe as written below. Or try these easy upgrades:
- Banana Upsidedown Cake. Instead of pineapples, place thin slices of bananas in the bottom of your muffin tin.
- Cherry Pie Cake. Swap out the pineapple for a scoop of cherry pie filling. So tasty!
- Cinnamon Pecan Cake. Add cinnamon to the batter, fill cups with pecans and a drizzle of caramel ice cream sauce, instead of pineapple.
Get the Tools
Bake like a pro. To make these pudding cakes, you’ll need a Good Cook Nonstick Texas Muffin Tin, Ceramic Mixing Bowls and a set of Classic Spatulas. Find all of these tools and more in our Amazon Store. Click here now to shop and ship directly to your front door.
If You Like This Recipe, You’ll Love
Want even more tasty ideas like this one? Don’t miss these amazing eats:
- • 1 box yellow cake mix
- • 1/2 cup melted butter + 8 TBSP butter
- • 4 eggs
- • 1/4 cup buttermilk
- • 1 package instant pudding powder mix, coconut cream flavor
- • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- • 1 teaspoon almond extract
- • 1 cup brown sugar
- • 8 pineapple rings
- • 8 maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, mix together the yellow cake mix, 1/2 cup of melted butter, 4 eggs, buttermilk, instant pudding mix, cinnamon, and almond extract. Mix until smooth and all ingredients are incorporated.
- Spray muffin tins generously with nonstick baking spray (the sort with flour added), then place a tablespoon of butter and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar into the bottom of each of the prepared muffin cups. Gently place a marachino cherry into the center of the muffin cup, then place a pineapple ring on top of the cherry. Spoon batter on top of the pineapple slices, filling each cup with batter while leaving about 1/4" space at the top of each muffin cup.
- Bake in preheated oven for 21-26 minutes, or until the tops of each cupcake spring back when touched lightly. Remove cupcakes and cool for about 3-5 minutes, then immediately dump them onto a cooling rack, transfer to plates, serve and enjoy!