Add some happy to your birthday cupcakes with fun and festive sprinkles. We’ve created a simple and utterly tasty vanilla cupcake recipe, mixing in colorful sprinkles for some kid-pleasing appeal. Perfect for any birthday celebration, these funfetti cupcakes are just as easy to make as a box mix, but with incredible homemade vanilla taste. Put these delightful cupcakes on your party table for an extra special birthday treat!
Whip up your batter and fill the cups of a Good Cook Airperfect Nonstick Muffin Pan about 2/3 full, baking until golden. Once cooled, frost with our perfect buttercream frosting. You’ll love the Sweet Creations 11-Piece Treat Decorating Kit for effortless application of your icing. Once frosted, generously decorate with sprinkles and serve!
Fun Flavor Twists
Enjoy this recipe as written below. Or try these easy upgrades:
- Flavor Mix-up– switch up the flavor with extract of lemon (1 tsp), almond (1/2 tsp), coconut (1-2 tsp), peppermint (1 tsp), or your birthday child’s favorite extract flavor! You may have to reduce the amount of extract depending on strength of flavor desired
- Chocolate Lovers– add 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder to your buttercream frosting
- Ice Cream Fun– pour your cupcake batter in lined muffin tins 2/3 of the way full. Place an ice cream cone upside down on batter in each muffin cup. Bake, cool, frost, and enjoy!
Get the Tools
Bake like a pro. Need to stock your kitchen with essentials like the Good Cook Touch 11-Inch Whisk, the Good Cook Airperfect Nonstick Muffin Pan, and the Sweet Creations 11-Piece Treat Decorating Kit? You can find these tools and more in our Amazon Store. Click here now to shop and ship directly to your front door.
If You Like This Recipe, You’ll Love
Want even more tasty ideas like this one? Don’t miss these amazing eats:
Perfect Birthday Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- 36 Tbsp whole milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp almond extract (optional)
- a few drops of blue coloring, 1 drop yellow
- rainbow sprinkles (for decor)
Heat oven to 350ºF.
In a stand mixer, cream together 1/2 cup butter, sugar and eggs, whipping until very light and fluffy.
Add flour, salt and baking powder. Beat just until incorporated. Whisk together buttermilk and vanilla. Add to batter, mixing until smooth (being careful not to overmix). Fold in rainbow sprinkles.
Scoop into parchment lined muffin cups, filling each cup 3/4 full. Bake 17-20 minutes, or until the center springs back when touched lightly. Remove and cool completely.
Prepare the frosting by beating 1 cup butter in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whipping until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, half of the milk and extracts. Beat slowly until well mixed, then add more milk, if needed, until frosting is light and fluffy. Tint to desired color, beat on high for 1 minute, until very fluffy.
To ice, use a knife to place a heap of frosting atop each cupcake, then swirl frosting toward the center. Decorate with sprinkles.
by Brooke Lark