Cute, fragrant, and slightly sweet, these mini braided sweet bread loaves are just right for breakfast and snacking. Make simple braids using this easy-to-handle dough and bake until beautifully golden in our mini bread pans. For an irresistible touch of sweetness, drizzle on a citrusy lemon glaze that’s perfect with a cup of tea. These little loaves can be shared, gifted, or enjoyed as a yummy treat for one!
This recipe makes 6 mini loaves. Preheat your oven to 350ºF and gather your ingredients for these incredibly tasty little loaves.
Fun Flavor Twists
Enjoy this recipe as written below. Or try these easy upgrades:
- Raisin Sweet Bread. Leave the lemon out out of the dough and glaze recipe. After the dough has risen and been cut into 3 strips, brush each strip evenly with 2 Tablespoons melted butter and sprinkle on 1/3 cup golden raisins. Continue rolling each strip as instructed.
- Orange Cardamom Sweet Bread. Swap out lemon zest for 1 Tablespoon orange zest and use cardamom instead of cinnamon. Before baking, top with 2 Tablespoons sliced almonds, 1 Tablespoon sugar, and ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- Chocolate Chip Sweet Bread. Sprinkle bread with mini chocolate chips before braiding. For the glaze, add a bit of almond extract for a delicious kiss of flavor.
Get the Tools
Bake like a pro. Need to stock your kitchen with essentials like mini loaf tins, festive holiday bakeware wrappers or decorative plastic gift wrap for your homebaked treats? You can find these tools and more in our Amazon Store. Click here now to shop and ship directly to your front door.
If You Like This Recipe, You’ll Love
Want even more tasty ideas like this one? Don’t miss these amazing eats:Print
Little Braided Sweet Bread
Cute, fragrant, and slightly sweet, these mini braided sweet bread loaves are just right for breakfast and snacking. Perfect for sharing and gifting!
- Prep Time: 120
- Total Time: 120
- Yield: 6
- 1 cup very warm water
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 packet yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) melted butter
- ¾ cup half and half or whole milk
- zest of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon or cardamom
- 4-4½ cups self rising flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- nonstick baking spray
In a large bowl, whisk together water, sugar and yeast. Allow to sit for 5 minutes so yeast can proof. Once mixture begins to foam, add salt, butter, half and half, lemon zest, cinnamon and 4 cups flour to the bowl. Stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board, knead for 5 minutes. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and allow to rise until double in bulk, about 1 hour. Once dough has risen, turn it out onto a lightly floured cutting board. Flatten into a long rectangle, then slice the rectangle into 3 long strips. Roll each strip into a long thin rope, braid the three ropes together, slice into 6 equal pieces. Gently place each piece into a Sweet Creations mini loaf liner which has been sprayed with nonstick baking spray. Brush loaves with egg. Allow loaves to rise on top of warm oven, for about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 22-27 minutes, or until loaves are golden brown. Allow loaves to cool slightly before removing from pan. Dust with powdered sugar or drizzle with lemon icing, if desired. FOR LEMON ICING: Whisk together 2 cups powdered sugar, 1 tsp clear vanilla, juice and zest from 2 lemons. Drizzle over loaves.