Turn the classic Meatball Sub into something spectacular! Chopped pepperoni lends incredible flavor to the rich, homemade sauce while fresh mozzarella and basil top it all off with enough flavor to make him know he’s the luckiest (and best fed!) guy on the planet!
More Game Day Faves
Putting together your part menu? Here are a few recipes that pair nicely with this one:
- Blistered Shishito Peppers
- Last-Minute Appetizers: 3 Ways to Upgrade Your Deviled Eggs
- 5-Ingredient Bacon Cheddar Jalapeno Poppers
- Raspberry Pretzel Cheesecake Dip
Get the Tools
Party like a pro. Need to stock your Game Day kitchen with essentials like extra-large sandwich sized baking sheets, salsa bowls or team-colored serving dishes? You can find these tools and more in our Amazon Store. Click here now to shop and ship directly to your front door.
If You Like This Recipe, You’ll Love
Want even more tasty ideas like this one? Don’t miss these amazing eats:
Hot Baked Pizza Meatball Subs
Not yo' mamas meatball sub! We've added pepperoni and lots of mozzarella, turning this classic into an irresistibly hearty eat.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- 28 ounces crushed, fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 32 ounces frozen Italian Meatballs
- 7 ounces pepperoni, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 sub rolls or baguettes, sliced sandwich-style
- 18 slices fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, sugar, tomatoes, Italian Seasoning, red pepper flakes, meatballs, pepperoni, and salt. Heat until meatballs are warmed through. Spoon meatballs into the bottom half of each sub roll. Top each with 3 slices of mozzarella. Place in preheated oven and bake until the mozzarella is barely browned, about 13-17 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle fresh basil over the top of the sub rolls. Serve and enjoy!