This grilled pineapple is a super refreshing and fun way to approach dessert!
Hi Bold Bakers!
I’m Gemma Stafford, professional Chef behind the online cooking show Bigger Bolder Baking and the proud ambassador for GoodCook! As a Big and Bold Baker, I make it my mission to create recipes that blow your friends and family away and one of my favorite ways to do this is to take classic flavor combinations and transform them into fresh and new ideas.
One of my favorite ways to make unique and fast desserts is using fresh fruit. Personally, I love tropical fruits in the summertime, particularly juicy pineapple. No, pineapple is not just for piña colada — it is the star of one of my favorite fruit desserts: Grilled Pineapple with Butter-Rum Sauce! Talk about perking you right up, this dessert has got it all! It’s hot, cold, creamy, sweet, boozy, and rich!
This dessert would also not be possible without my GoodCook Pineapple Slicer, which is honestly one of the most magical kitchen tools I’ve ever owned. This baby peels, cores, and slices at the same time, meaning grilled pineapple with a buttered run and a scoop of vanilla ice cream can be in my mouth in minutes.
HOW DO YOU CUT A PINEAPPLE?
Normally I would have to answer this question with a long and complicated answer. I would have to tell all you Bold Bakers to be sure to be careful while taking on this task as you have to be working with a large knife. I would also have to warn you that this process can be messy and wasteful.
Well, thanks to my GoodCook Pineapple Slicer I can tell you with confidence this is the easiest most effective way to core, peel, and slice a pineapple ALL AT THE SAME TIME. I know I’m yelling, but this pineapple slicer is the coolest. Sometimes kitchen gadgets promise a lot and deliver a little, but this one is the real deal and does exactly what it promises.
All you have to do is slice of the top of the pineapple, insert the corer into the center of the pineapple, and twist using a downward motion. Before your eyes what you’re left with is a stack of perfectly sliced and cored pineapple rings, ideal for grilling!
HOW DO YOU MAKE BUTTER RUM SAUCE?
This caramel sauce is the perfect compliment to grilled pineapple. Think rich creamy caramel but with a hint of that sweet rum flavor.
I love this caramel because instead of being made with cream it’s made with butter and water. The butter creates a luscious, creamy flavor and the water — as opposed to cream — ensures the caramel is pour-able without being too sticky. Once the rum is added into the equation the alcohol cooks off and what’s left is a truly special caramel unlike any I bet you’ve ever had.
GRILLED PINEAPPLE — JUST HOW DO YOU GRILL FRUIT?
The trick to grilling fruit is to not overthink it! No need to season, no need to grease, and no need to move it around too much. All I do to grill up my pineapple is lay my perfectly cut rings onto a hot dry grill. After about 3-4 minutes I use tongs to turn my pineapple rings and allow to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
The best part of this dessert is how it all comes together. The rings first get stacked and then topped with my butter rum sauce, and then a big scoop of vanilla ice cream gets added and it becomes literally tropical dessert heaven. This grilled pineapple is a super refreshing and fun way to approach dessert!
Grilled Pineapple with Butter Rum Sauce
Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
- 1 whole pineapple, cored and sliced using the GoodCook Pineapple Slicer
- vanilla ice cream, for serving
Butter Rum Sauce
- 1 cup (8oz/225g) sugar
- 1/3 cup (2 1/ /71ml) water
- 1/2 cup (4oz/115ml) butter
- 1/2 cup (4floz/115ml) water
- 1/3 cup (cup (2 1/2floz/71ml) dark rum
Rum Butter Sauce
- Combine sugar and 1/3 cup of water in a small pot over medium-low heat. Allow the sugar to dissolve without letting it simmer. Once the sugar has dissolved, let the mix simmer gently until it turns into caramel, roughly 10 plus minutes.
- Once you reach the caramel stage add in the butter and whisk until it’s incorporated.
- Allow the mix to come to a simmer again. While whisking, add in 1/2 cup water. Keep whisking as the sugars will clump up. Reduce over low heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Lastly, add rum and reduce for another 5 minutes to cook off the alcohol. Set aside to cool while preparing your pineapple.
- To prepare the whole pineapple, core and slice it using the GoodCook Pineapple slicer. Push the slicer down while twisting. This motion and this truly magic tool will peel, slice and core the pineapple all at the same time! It’s AMAZING!
- To grill the pineapple preheat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to high heat. Separate the rings of pineapple and place on the dry hot grill. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side creating nice grill marks.
- Remove from the grill and place 4-6 rings on a plate. Whisk up the rum butter sauce and vanilla ice cream & enjoy! Cover and store the pineapple for up to 2 days. The caramel will keep covered in the fridge for up to 1 month.
Rum Butter Sauce: You will need to whisk the sauce up before use. If it has been in the fridge then pop it into the microwave for 1 minutes, whisk and use.