Gingerbread cookies are a holiday favorite! The combination of molasses, ginger, and cinnamon gives them a classic sweet and spicy flavor the whole family will love. This recipes mixes to a sturdy dough that is perfect for cut-out creations, from gingerbread men to three dimensional gingerbread cities. Whatever holiday scene you dream up, dress your baked cookies with frosting, sprinkles, candies, and gumdrops to give them a standout style.
After mixing, a little time to chill in the fridge can make the dough easier to roll out and help achieve clean cut-out edges. For the perfect crisp, but slightly chewy cookie we recommend a roll-out thickness of 1/8-inch thick. If you prefer a softer cookie, roll a bit thicker or adjust cooking time by a minute or 2.
Wondering what more you can do with your dough? We’ve got a few creative gingerbread cutters that will take your baking to the next level. Your cookies will look better than ever with these clever holiday-themed cutters:
- Design Your Own 3D Gingerbread House. Make gorgeous custom-decorated houses with this Sweet Creations 3D Mini Gingerbread House Cutter
- Bake a Batch of Gingerbread Gift Tags. Craft your own gingerbread gift tags and watch everyone smile! This recipe, cut with our Sweet Creations 3D Gift Tag Cookie Cutter makes it easy to make these adorable edibles.
- Celebrate Christmas with Ugly Sweater Cookies! The Sweet Creations Ugly Sweater Cookie Kit looks divine in gingerbread!
- Create Cookie Classics. Cut out beautiful holiday shapes with the Sweet Creations Holiday Cookie Cutter 12-Pack. Make gingerbread men, ornaments and stars. Perfect for eating, sharing…or hanging on the tree!
This sweet and spicy cookie is sturdy enough to use when making gingerbread houses and other three dimensional holiday treats. Use with prepared decorator icing for easy, fun cookies.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2/3 cup Light brown sugar (packed)
- 2/3 cup Molasses
- 2 tsps Ground cinnamon
- 2 tsps Ground ginger
- 2 tsps Baking soda
- 1 cup Unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 Large egg (beaten)
- 2 tsps Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tspn Salt
- 4 cups Flour (plus extra for dusting)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. 2. Place brown sugar, molasses, cinnamon, and ginger in a large saucepan over medium low heat. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. 3. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda. 4. Stir in butter a tablespoon at a time, stirring well between additions to combine. 5. Add egg, vanilla and salt to sugar mixture, stirring to combine. 6. Pour into a large bowl and add flour, a cup at a time, stirring to combine. 7. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until dough comes together and is no longer sticky, adding flour by the tablespoon if necessary. 8. Roll out half the dough on a floured work surface to 1/8-inch thick. Cut dough into desired shapes. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake until edges are slightly browned, about 10 minutes. 9. Remove from heat. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
- Serving Size: 48