The Good Cook Prep Recipes Series celebrates a simple concept—make a big batch of one basic recipe, freeze proportioned serving sizes, and make five more delicious recipes in minutes! All you need is this blog post, a few basic Good Cook tools, a handful of simple ingredients, and you’ll have a whole week of delicious eats to enjoy!
There are a few classic recipes that everyone loves. A basic chicken pot pie filling is one of them. Full of mild, comforting flavors and rich, salted gravy, kids and adults love sitting down to warm, familiar flavors.
The best thing about Chicken Pot Pie filling? It’s a perfect prep recipe! You can make a big batch of it ahead of time, then freeze it for later, having a pre-cooked Chicken & Veggie filling ready for a dozen different dinners that everyone will adore!
Here’s how to do it:
1) Follow the recipe below to make your own big batch of Chicken Pot Pie Filling
2) Allow the mixture to cool completely.
3) Spoon the mixture into quart-sized freezer bags (we suggest spooning 1 cup of filling per serving, and no more than 2 cups per quart-sized freezer bag)
4) Squeeze all of the air out of your freezer bags before sealing.
5) Store the bags of filling flat in your freezer, you can place several on top of each other to save space!
6) Thaw in the microwave, or by placing the filling on a clean paper towel on your countertop, about 2 hours before cooking.
7) Use the filling in lots of recipes! We’ve given you 5 favorites below, just to get you started!
8) Enjoy being awesome! You really are one Good Cook!
How to Prep the Basic Recipe:
Grab the complete recipe here, then scroll down to see a step-by-step photo tutorial of our yummy Chicken Pot Pie recipe.
Start with a large skillet or pot. Melt a bit of butter, then add diced onions, celery, and carrots to your hot skillet. Cook until softened.
Add the chicken to your skillet, then add the remaining ingredients. You’ll stir the ingredients together over medium heat until the gravy mixture begins to thicken.
NOTE: More and more gluten-free eaters are thickening gravies with arrowroot. While arrowroot powder is great for thickening sauces and gravies, it doesn’t hold up well to freezing, so should not be used in this recipe.
Allow the mixture to cool, then store in freezer bags or airtight containers. You can also use the filling right away to make a delicious dinner tonight!
This one prep recipe makes 5 delicious dinners!
1. SAVORY CHICKEN SHORTCAKES Spoon hot filling between slices of hot, flaky biscuits
2. CHICKEN POT PIE Cook mixture between premade pie crust at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes
3. CHICKEN HAYSTACKS Serve mixture over rice. Top with chopped pineapple, toasted coconut, chow mein noodles, almonds, and scallions.
4. CHICKS AND MASH Serve hot filling over mashed potatoes.
5. CHEESY CHICKEN SHEPHERDS PIE Spoon filling into a 9×13” pan. Top with mashed potatoes and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Slice and enjoy!
We’d love to know how you cook with your Green Chili Sauce! Leave us a comment and tell us how you turn this prep recipe into a delicious meal!
Like it, Love It, Want More Of It? Find more Good Cook Prep Recipes.