If you loved those classic, cream-filled chocolate cupcakes as a kid, this Valentines Day treat is just for you! A grown-up sized 3D cake, stuffed with fresh whipped cream, topped with a rich chocolate ganache icing, and piped with that same swirl you remember from childhood. Sound tricky? You’ll be splendidly surprised. With the Sweet Creations 3D Valentine Heart-Shaped Pan, a cake mix and a few basic ingredients, this sweet treat is easy to whip up.
Fun Flavor Twists
Enjoy this recipe as written below. Or try these easy upgrades:
- Vanilla Cupcake. Use Vanilla mix instead of chocolate, decorate with rainbow sprinkles, instead of a swirl. E
- Strawberry Cake. Go pink for your sweetheart! A strawberry cake mix, instead of chocolate tastes great here. Don’t forget a pink swirl!
- Dark Chocolate. Have a dark chocolate lover in your life? Use a dark chocolate cake mix, and use very dark chocolate chips for the frosting.
Get the Tools
Bake like a pro. Need to stock your kitchen with essentials like the Sweet Creations 3d Heart- Shaped Cake Pan? You can find these tools and more in our Amazon Store. Click here now to shop and ship directly to your front door.
If You Like This Recipe, You’ll Love
Want even more tasty ideas like this one? Don’t miss these amazing eats:
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil or melted butter
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4-1/2 cup butter
- 1/2-3/4 cup vanilla frosting, slightly melted
- nonstick baking spray
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, stir together cake, eggs, butter and water. Mix well. Pour into a Sweet Creations 3D Heart Shaped Pan, which has been generously sprayed with baking spray. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or just until the center of the cake springs back when touched lightly. Remove and cool completely.
- Whip cream with powdered sugar.
- With a sharp knife, gently cut around the center of the cake, about 2" from the edges. Slice the top piece carefully, to create a flat, heart-shaped piece which can be replaces on top of the cake once the center is hollowed out.
- Hollow out the center of the cake with a spoon, fill with cream. Replace top heart-shaped portion, but discard any center crumbs which were hollowed out. Gently place your hand on the top of the cake, holding the replaced piece in place. Invert and place cake on serving plate.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and 1/4 cup of butter together. Stir until smooth. If a softer, creamier icing is preferred, add remaining butter, microwave until melted, stir until smooth.
- Frost cake with melted chocolate.
- Spoon vanilla icing into an Oodletips icing bag. Snip tip and pipe a swirl around the outer edge of the cake.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Remove from fridge 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!