An irresistible Chocolate Surprise Cake makes the ultimate centerpiece for any special occasion. Rich, moist chocolate cake is hollowed out in the center and filled with a colorful candy surprise. A fudgy frosting tops this deliciously fun Chocolate Surprise Cake.
This cake may look intimidating to make, but we assure you it’s not. The recipe has the ease of a box mix cake with a few simple ingredients added in to make it even better. Buttermilk and extra eggs result in a moist crumb, which is perfect for holding together the shape with the surprise center. We love that it all comes together in one bowl for easy cleanup.
Steps To Make a Chocolate Surprise Cake
- Pour the batter in two Sweet Creations Textured Nonstick 9-Inch Square Cake Pan and prepare the chocolate buttercream frosting as the cakes bake.
- Once the cakes are completely cooled, cut each layer into two thinner layers with a GoodCook Touch Carbon Steel Serrated Knife. You’ll now have 4 cake layers. Stack three of the layers and carefully cut out a 5-6 inch square from the center of the stacked cakes. Remove the inner square and set aside. You won’t be needing this inner part of the cake for the recipe.
- Place one cut-out cake layer on a cake board or cake stand.
- Spread a layer of chocolate buttercream on top of this cut-out layer with a GoodCook Touch Spatula Spreader. Place the second cut-out layer on top and frost with chocolate buttercream. Repeat with the third cut-out layer.
- Fill the hole in the center of the frosted cakes with your candy of choice. We love the look of light pink, dark pink, and blue candy-coated chocolate balls mixed with gummy bears.
- Place the remaining cake layer (without a cut-out square) on top of the third layer to seal in the sweets. Frost the top and sides of the cake generously with the remaining chocolate buttercream.
- Decorate with candy or sprinkles and serve. One slice of this impressive cake will reveal the hidden sweets!
- With the GoodCook line of bakeware, this stunning cake will be the star of the party. You’ll need a GoodCook Touch Carbon Steel Serrated Knife to cut the cake layers. This surprise treat bakes up perfectly in two Sweet Creations Textured Nonstick 9-Inch Square Cake Pan and is frosted evenly with a GoodCook Touch Spatula Spreader.
Are you ready for a fun and festive cake?
Bake & Share
Happy Cake Baking! If you try this recipe at home, we’d love to see a photo of it! Snap a picture and upload to Instagram. Don’t forget to tag us @goodcook.com #goodcookcook
Chocolate Surprise Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1/2 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 sticks salted butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4-1/3 cup milk
Decoration & Filling
- light pink, dark pink, and blue candy coated chocolate balls
- gummy bears
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two Sweet Creations Textured Nonstick 9-inch Square Cake Pan. Combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl, and mix until well combined. Split batter and pour into two Sweet Creations Textured Nonstick 9-inch Square Cake Pan (Or cook one layer at a time). Bake 25 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick, can be inserted into center and come out clean.
While cake bakes, prepare the frosting by combining butter, vanilla extract, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder in a bowl, slowly adding milk until desired consistency is reached.
Allow cakes to cool, and then flip out of baking pans. Using a serrated knife, cut each layer into two smaller layers. Stack three of the layers and cut out and remove a 5-6 inch square in the center. Fill with chocolate candies and gummy bears and close off with final layer. Frost cake and decorate with remaining chocolate candies.