Hi Bold Bakers!
It’s official – chocolate and peanut butter are a thing. The baking world has taken the famed Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup and transformed the happy couple into a flavor combination as beloved as chocolate and coffee or chocolate and hazelnut. What better way to celebrate this salty-sweet combination than with a big and bold Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cake?!
For those of you who don’t know me, hi! I’m Gemma Stafford, the baker behind Bigger Bolder Baking. As a professional chef and Bold Baker to the core, my passion is taking over-the-top sweets and baked goods and making them both accessible while holding on to all of that wow factor. I’m very proud to be an ambassador for GoodCook, since I love all of their baking essentials including many things you’ll want to make this treat. This cake is a perfect example of that and actually a favorite in my house. In fact, this Chocolate and Peanut Butter cake was requested by my husband, Kevin to celebrate his birthday this year!
This style of cake is my favorite – it’s freeform and rustic, decorated with fresh fruit and the most lovely swirled peanut butter buttercream (thanks to my OodleTip piping bag). Whether you’re making it for a special occasion or for a big birthday, your friends and family will literally swoon for this delicacy.
The cake inside of my Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake is one of my go-to recipes as it’s beyond moist and chocolatey, a nod to good quality cocoa powder and the addition of strong coffee. That being said, the best part of this cake is what happens when it’s introduced to my Crazy Peanut Butter Frosting. This frosting is salty, sweet, light as air and crazy rich. Just like a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, this cake packs a chocolate punch while being sweet and salty in all the right ways. To take it up that extra notch, I top this cake with fresh raspberries. Can you imagine anything more festive?!
Cake Baking Essentials
Want the tools used in this video? You can buy them on Amazon using the links below.
- Good Cook 9 Inch Round Cake Pan
- Oodle Tip Piping Bag
- Good Cook Measuring Cup – 1 Cup
- Good Cook Measuring Cup – 2 Cup
Even More Bold Baking
Discover a delicious twist on this recipe with Gemma’s recipe for this 3-Layer Neapolitan Cake. A decadent dessert with triple the yum! Vanilla, strawberry and chocolate flavors layered to make a gorgeous cake.
Be a Bold Baker
We’re inspired by Gemma’s approach to bold baking! If you are, too, we’d love to see what you’re cooking up in your kitchen. Take a photo and tag us @goodcookcom #goodcookcom #biggerbolderbakingPrint
Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cake
Chocolate and Peanut have become the celebrity couple in the baking world. Your friends will swoon over my rich and rustic Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cake.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 12
- 2 1/4 cups ((111/4oz/340g) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (3oz/90g) cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cup (14oz/420g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (4oz/120g) butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (21/2floz/75ml) vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (8floz/240ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (4floz/120ml) coffee or water
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 batch Crazy Peanut Butter Frosting
- 2 cups (10oz/300g) fresh raspberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350oF (180oC) then grease and line 3 GoodCook 9-inch round cake tins, set aside.
2. Over a large bowl sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa, and sugar.
3. Next rub in your butter by hand until you’ve reached the texture of coarse breadcrumbs.
4. In a large jug combine the vanilla, milk, coffee (or water), flavorless oil and eggs.
5. Add your wet ingredients to your dry and whisk together until just combined.
6. Divide your batter evenly between the 3 prepared cake tins and bake roughly 25
minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out
7. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before
turning out onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
1. Using a serrated knife level the tops of the cake.
2. Fill a star Oodle Tip Piping bag with Crazy Peanut Butter Frosting.
3. Transfer the first layer of your cake to the cake stand or plate of your choice.
Using your piping bag, pipe rosettes around the outside of the cake working your way in until the whole thing is covered. Dot the top of your cake with 1/3 of the raspberries.
4. Place your next layer of cake on top and repeat the process until all 3 layers have been decorated.
This cake can be covered and stored at room temperature for 3 days.