I love One Pot Pastas. They make dinnertime so easy in my house because they don’t use a dozen of different dishes and pots and pans to prepare and they’re usually really quick to make. Also, like this 5-Ingredient Creamy Chicken Alfredo, they don’t require a ton of ingredients, or weird random things that I don’t usually have on hand already.
This 5-Ingredient Creamy Chicken Alfredo is completely a pantry meal for me. I always have pasta in my pantry and it is pretty unusual that I don’t have rotel in there as well. Chicken, cilantro, cream, and cheese are also on my weekly shopping list because they’re versatile and can add a lot of flavor to the simplest of meals.
Pantry meals are great because I think they help keep the budget on track since you’re relying on simple, basic ingredients to prep a meal. Pasta can really help stretch a meal (and a small amount of meat) a long way.
This recipe comes together really quickly. First, you’ll season some chicken with your favorite Taco Seasoning. Store-bought works great, or you can throw together a batch of this Spicy Taco Seasoning and keep it on hand in your spice cabinet for lots of other recipes.
I like the Good Cook 11″ Cast Iron Skillet to prep this meal. It browns the chicken up really nicely and it is a nice size for a one pot meal.
Another bonus of cast iron is that it moves effortlessly from stove to oven, if you are prepping a recipe that requires transferring the dish to the oven, or you just want to keep the meal warm while you set the table and prep a salad. Cast iron also looks attractive set on the table before dinner is served.
After browning the chicken, you’ll prep a quick sauce that consists of butter, cream, cheese, and rotel – kind of like a Mexican alfredo sauce. Then, slice the chicken into strips using a knife, like the Good Cook Non-Stick 5-inch Santoku. These knives are my favorite all-purpose style because they tend to fit nicely in my smaller hands due to the handle shape.
Transfer the cooked pasta and chicken to the pan with the sauce and garnish with a little extra rotel and chopped cilantro (if you like cilantro!). Super easy and tasty. For a full meal, you can prep a quick salad or steam some vegetables and you are all set.
You can easily add to this basic recipe if you want – black beans, corn, bell peppers, and sautéed onions area all great additions if you have them on hand!
More One Pot Pastas You’ll Love
If you like this recipe, you’ve also got to try:
- One Pot Sundried Tomato Spinach Pasta
- One Pot Tasty Taco Mac
- One Pot Sausage Beer Mac
- One Pot Chicken Bacon Alfredo
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Mexican cheese blend
- 1 can Mild Rotel or chopped tomatoes, 2 Tbsp reserved for garnish
- 8 ounces Penne Pasta, cooked according to package instructions
- Garnish: 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Cilantro Leaves
- Pat the chicken dry on both sides with a paper towel. Sprinkle with the taco seasoning on all sides.
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron pan over medium heat. Add the seasoned chicken to the pan and cook, turning once, until the chicken is completely cooked through (about 5 minutes per side). Remove chicken from the pan, place on a plate, cover with foil.
- Add the butter to the pan that the chicken was cooked in and melt over medium heat. Slowly add the heavy cream, whisking to incorporate all the seasonings and browned bits left behind from cooking the chicken. Whisk constantly and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the cheese, rotel (reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish), and stir until thickened and the cheese is melted. Stir in the cooked pasta and reduce heat to low.
- Remove chicken from the foil covered plate, slice into strips. Place the sliced chicken on top of the pasta and sprinkle with reserved rotel and optional cilantro garnish for a pop of color.
- Serve immediately.